+44 (0)2380 659 011

News

Herbert Walker Avenue Southampton

Did you know - that Herbert Walker Avenue is named after Sir Herbert Walker, the Chairman of the then Southern Railways, who once owned Southampton Docks?

The Avenue starts from the 1st exit off the Roundabout at West Quay Road & Town Quay, goes through Gate 8 and continues all the way to the King George 5th dry dock.  It is only accessible for dock traffic and passengers to the cruise terminals.  

In 1927 when the trade in the Port was increasing, there was a need to extend the dockside quays as far as possible.  Sir Herbert had an ambitious scheme to make improvements by reclaiming land between The Royal Pier and Millbrook Point.  An area of approximately 400 acres of mud was pumped dry enabling concrete and steel piling which provided 1.5 miles of deep water berths.

If he could see now the overall development of Southampton Docks, he would be greatly impressed!

Posted in News by Admin on 25/09/2011

« Back to all posts